Monday, September 10, 2012

Tidal Wave

sometimes it trickles in slow
like mud quietly dissolving into the water
from the edge of a river bank

and sometimes it comes on all at once
like a tidal wave,
a tsunami on unsuspecting tourists,
a horrific mass engulfing my entire realm,
sloshing around before it settles,
heavy and unmoving,
washing in front of my eyes,
blurring vision,
and when I can see again sometimes
the wreckage left behind
is too much for words

but always, always it has been
that I’ve continued to persist.

though scars accumulate,
my injuries heal,

always trying to grow wiser,
more determined,
yearning for days when the levies
will be strong enough to hold


1 comment:

  1. Your poem seems very accurate in describing the feelings that many people experience. Keep writing and look for a literary/poetry group to join. You need and deserve a larger audience! Linda S.

    ReplyDelete